On February 11, 2011 I started having problems with my Virgin Mobile GPS.The error message it gave me was, "error renewing your subscription. Please try back later. I called VM to ask them to help me get it to work again. I talked to a rep and she told me how to reset my MSID on my phone and it should solve the problem. It didn't solve the problem so she said that I have to be calling from another phone that is not my VM phone so she can help me troubleshoot the problem. I had to call back with another phone line and of course, it was hard to get a live person because every time I call VM and try to do so it reverts back to the beginning of the greeting. I finally was able to get another rep on the line. To by-pass the greeting you have to say "top-up" and then "none of those." The 2nd rep told me I would have to wait up to 4 hours while their system updates so that my GPS will work again. I waited until the next day and tried to use my GPS again. It gave me the same error. I called VM again and the rep told me to go to settings, location, and turn on my GPS, but it was already on. He then told me that unfortunately he can't help me and would have to escalate my issue to a higher level. He said I would have to wait 24-72 hours. I told him I am very upset that they can't help me now because I really need GPS. The rep replied by telling me that in that case he will transfer me to the higher tech support now. He transferred me and another rep answered. He asked me for my phone number. As soon as I gave him my number the call was disconnected. I am not going to bother calling them again since it takes forever to get someone on the line, and then when I do, I'll be hung up on. I'm going to switch to another provider. What I don't understand is that my GPS was working fine last month and the month before. I've had this new phone for only a few months and now the GPS doesn't work at all.

I'm really bad at directions and my fear is that I'll be in a neighborhood that I don't know and I won't have any help when I'm there. I also really need my GPS because I need to see my mother which is hours away from where I live and its a pain to retrieve get mapquest or yahoo and then have to print them out. I guess I'll have to do that until I get my new phone provider. NEVER MORE VIRGIN MOBILE! NEVER MORE!

Review about: Virgin Mobile Phone Service.

Comments

On my old phone gps works fine even when my service was off i got one of the new touch phones and it always said serching for gps i called vm and they told me i have to pay five bucks a month for that service what kind of *** is that so to this day i use my old phone for gps

Just talked to VM.Bought a restore and was trying to get the navigation app to run.

the service reps told me the navigation app was a charged app of $5 per month. no where on their site does it say this. They initially offered me a one time $5 credit and then upped it to $10.

the supervisor who talked to me really did not care about the issue.I think they hear these things enough they just do not care anymore.

I found out it was was the Samsung phone I was using that was the problem.People also sometimes couldn't hear me when I talked to them so they thought nobody was on the line and they hung up on me.

I merely got rid of VM service and went with another provider, and one that has customer service reps that actually answer the phone.Problem solved.

I would like to share my experience with VM as well. I had the same problem with you Dakid, but i'm from France.

The girl on the line is inexperience and they just told me, try yourself and call us back in next few days. WHile i have tried trillion ways to get the gps worked!

I had never thought about the problems being with GPS directly, that might be the the issue.While looking for help on the web I ran into many people with the same GPS problems as mine.

I did always get very friendly reps when I called VM, they just always told me the same basic fixes and it would waste my time.

Oh well, I wish you the best and I hope you get the problem solved.Good Luck.

I think the reps are either underpaid and unhappy, not necessarily inexperienced, or their bosses train them to be that way.Realize that they probably intentionally have the phone system rigged so that its hard to get a hold of a representative.

Maybe the whole CSR department is bad starting with the bosses and trainers. The first time I got GPS I downloaded the app for $10, then a few months later I needed it again and it only cost me $5. Still, a few months later I downloaded it again and it didn't cost me anything. Now it doesn't work at all.

I think that maybe VM just didn't pay the GPS people and are giving customers the run-around and unnecessarily making them go through loops. I once talked to a representative in the Philippines that told me the same thing as you, she has never seen the phone and cannot afford it with what she gets paid. I've also had problem getting failed messages when texting and I had to re-send and re-send it but since its intermittent I was alright with it as long as I am eventually able to send the message. I also had problems sending pics, but fortunately I was able to talk to a representative and I think she did something to fix the problem in the office but didn't tell me.

She told me to turn my phone off and then on again and it should fix the problem, and it did.

I know she must have done something on her end because I had already turned the phone on and off, even took out the battery before talking to her and it didn't solve the problem.I'm just glad I have a pay-as-you-go plan so if I find another provider that's better I plan to change.

Dakid, your situation stinks!I was able to download the app BUT it would never launch on my phone so I would pay for the app and NEVER get it.

The crazy reps would tell me to buy it again and again or tell me to take out my battery and reinstall over and over and it was clear to me after a few months that none of the sugestions were working. It really seems to me that there are VERY inexperienced people working as service reps for VM. One guy even told me he had never seen my phone working before since he lived in some country where they did not have Virgin Mobile. How can someone help me if they don\'t know how my phone works?

I was wondering, do you think that your phone is a lemon? I noticed from the many blogs on the subject that some phones just seem made wrong and that sometimes VM would replace the messed up ones. Maybe there is some internal problem that is keeping this stuff from working? I know you would not want to put more cash into the problem but I just bought my wife the Optimus V Andriod from VM and we are switching over her Verizon account next week.

I HOPE she does not have some of the same customer service problems that I have had but we just have to get some sort of cheaper service than what we are paying at Verizon(almost $90/mo....we want to switch to get her on a $25 plan line mine that has unlimited texting). What phone are you using now with VM? I have the Rumor Touch and I have seen other complaints online about it\'s problems. If I had the chance to do it over I would not have bought the Rumor Touch since I am now very tired of how slow it\'s internet is.

It does text well and the phone connection is great so I use it daily but if I had the cash someday I would like to upgrade to something better. I also understand about not having the money to buy a separate GPS. I will have to wait and get lost all over town for a few more months until I can figure something out too.

Times are tough for sure.Anyway, I hope you have better luck than me getting your application and web working.I feel for you...what a mess they have over at Virgin Mobile.

Edward, you're lucky that you're at least able to re-download the app.I can't even do that because it says "subscription expired, try back later." I'm paying $20 extra for web and GPS and the web doesn't even work.

When I was able to get a representative on the line I was told I can cancel the web on the day that I called but will forfeit the money I paid for the web and that I should wait until my it comes time to top up again and just change the service at that time. Like you, when I get to a representative, I get disconnected. I vented on Facebook as you suggested but I doubt they'll do anything about it.

I saw all the complaints on the Virgin Mobile page and that suggests that Virgin Mobile doesn't care.I don't have the luxury of extra money to get GPS for my car and I get distracted easily so I really depend on a GPS service so I guess I'm screwed.

I understand your frustration!I had the same problem with my VM phone.

I was able to buy and download the app and then when I went to launch the application it gave me an error message saying that my subscription had expired and I needed to buy the application again. I would try again and again to download and nothing would work.I would try to call, get disconnected(hello, don't they have my number? call me back please)try to e-mail, send more e-mails, go back to calling, it just went around and around.I worked on it for at least two weeks in January and a few days in February and I decided that life was too short and I am not going to mess with it anymore. I asked VM to refund my $5 and went on with life.

I will start looking for a separate GPS that I can buy to keep in the car. Some of those are cheap. Anyway, I love my VM phone and the price of the service. I just wish that they could work out some of these gliches...

but then I guess if they start paying too much money to fix all the service problems the monthly rates might start going up. Right now I am only paying $25 a month for unlimited data and text and 300 minutes, even without the GPS I love that deal.Good luck getting your problem fixed!Someone told me that I should try to vent on Facebook or Twitter and they will fix stuff right away.

Maybe you could try that?I wish you luck.