My 75-year-old mother has a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone that she only uses to make an occasional phone call. She would be happy with a rock if she could make calls from it.

Every time she tops up, she finds she has no minutes shortly afterward. I looked at her account and found that she is paying $9.99 for xtras every month (sometimes more than one). I have called Virgin to tell them these are mistakes, and they always refund them. But it keeps happening!

I was told my mom would literally have to call the companies that sell the xtras and order them. She would have to dial a number and request, say, Internet service. She would have to verbally request it, not just push a button or something. Needless to say, she has never done this.

She doesn't even know how to retrieve her messages! Today I threatened to cancel her service and was told, No, we will refund your money. They also suggested I change her pin number, which I did. She is the only one in possession of the phone, by the way.

Now I am wondering if someone at Virgin Mobile is getting a kickback for selling these xtras.

I am frustrated with this company beyond words. Next month, if there are new xtras, I am canceling.

Product or Service Mentioned: Virgin Mobile Phone Service.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Mar 25, 2010.

Comments

#571951

money money money

#571946

Virgin starts off ok. I was practically suffocated by nagging of my family to get a cell phone after a 3 year gap b/c of FIDO ripping me off by making up charges in various forms…35 calls later and nothing changed.

Closed my account, paid them off. Recall hearing constant complaints of $400 - $800 of overcharging or false charging. Mobilicity bf told me he got me a free phone and good deal…took his gift and closed my eyes after being cell phone free (does anyone recall we all survived without electromagnetic *** which is causing TUMORS AND INFERTILITY!!!!!!!! so I took it with stride…started getting issues with service to the point that it was like not having a phone but still getting charged (this time I paid one year in advance so no surprises!)…mmhh they were supposed to pay me back for certain things but gave me a check that was less $200 than it should have been plus a bunch of other ***.

So now to VIRGIN…billionaire is laughing right now as he sits on his own islands sand, and *** in his open air men’s room *yes watch cribs* he is a regular pirate…They do not help me find my stolen phone, mock me, and constantly ask me to buy another one. $400 lost and another for the same phone. They suspend my account but fail to tell me (I suspended it) that i will get charged every month - I am not a seasoned cell phone user! i did not know and i asked so many times from mulitiple people if there was anything I needed to do or pay..no nothing, just tell us when you get your new phone.

Meanwhile the police wont help b.c htey need virgin to step in, virgin passes the buck back. So they help thieves, bc you need to buy another phone. 1 mths go by b.c the police tell me to wait another month maybe my phone lost not stolen…virgin sends me a bill in Nov. for 3 mths and the first month was supposed to be free.

***###!!!!

SOLUTION: CALL THE FCC!!!!!!!! BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!!!! AND BETTER YET TAKE THEM TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT.I swear they are all owned by one company b.c you go from one to the next hoping for better…they all end up making so much money. I want to know why the government doesn’t stop them?

FCC help!!! I know smc has worked in the USA.

But tumours and infertility are not worth. Lets go back to dealing with people not machines.

necronderp

The problem I have with the xtras is that when I don't call out for a day they seem to be charging me. thats even if I use text or data the thing that matters is if I don't call out that day there is a .99 cent charge to my account.

I would bet they find what you do most or something like that and apply the xtra charge to it if it is different for everyone. Also I have had a paygo phone by them bought the $1 or $5 data pack and they tried to tell me that the phone didnt have a 3g modem when there was a sticker on it that said 3g and I had just been useing it for just that I called *** over the phone.

that fixed it.

YEs they did it to me too. Never got to make a call.

Used phone once to check for ringtones BAM all my money gone.

Topped bam gone again in less than 45 minutes. Will take ahmmer to `this *** thing.

Around March 1 my pay as you go phone stopped receiving text messages. I contacted them that week and they said they would look into it but it could take as long as 72 hours. After three days I sent them an email from their website.

They replied "it could take 3 days" and I noticed at the bottom of the email it said, "Status solved." I kept contacting them and the three days became five business days, then 7, then 10, then 11, and finally two weeks.

It turns out every time I contacted them it created an update to the original and a new "trouble ticket." It's a catch-22. If you don't respond every day they mark it as closed. If you contact them, they make it a new issue so it is never solved.

When I checked my account balance I had a dozen charges for "xtras" at 25 cents each. They are not tied to a phone number like the texts or calls so there is not direct link in the account explaining it. I still do not know exactly what they are. I usually call and ask but they usually refunded them so I don't go into depth.

Today is May 16 and I sent something like 46 text messages in March they promised to refund. While I was on the phone the rep said, "I'll put $5 into your account for the poor service we gave you." I told him if it is a refund for the text messages I counted 46 that I did not receive. He then instructed me to test the texting by sending one to myself, 15 cents going out and 15 cents coming in. He promised to refund it and never did!

The worst part is they say, 'We'll let tech support know' and 'they will contact you.' I always asked them, if it is a matter for tech support, can I talk to them directly? They always said "NO! They will contact you."

What kind of system is that? I just spoke with them and they say "We refunded everything. We gave you $5." No...

If they offer something, don't take it! They also promised to add 100 "free minutes" to my account but I am still billed for calls and text messages and it doesn't show up in my account so how do I know he added it in the first place?

Virgin Mobile has been okay except when there is a problem. I don't like giving them my "vpin" either. I once called them and told him the cell phone number is the account number and vpin is the pin. With it they can change my account plan or take money from my account. He replied, "Don't worry. I'm not even in your country." One way to find out now is ask them where they are because they usually ask for a timeline of events or when there was a service outage. Different places have different time zones, right?

G.Mathiesen

Just spoke with Virgin Mogile rep. She said that this is a charge by third party ring tone supplier. Many times, it is reported on a bill without customer having downloaded ring tones.

Alerts should be sent to the phone before billing each month.

To stop XTRA billing: reply "stop" to the alerts when received.

I just spoke to Virgin Mobile rep on this matter and was informed that this is a third party billing for ring tone download. Many times no ring tone is downloaded.

An Alert should be sent to the phone before to authorize each billing. To stop billing: Reply "stop" to any alert received from a third party.

James is correct. It is an ongoing business scam pulled by virgin mobile.

They know exactly that they are stealing and cover their tracks in an organized way. They are picking phone pockets and getting away with it.

Close your VM accounts ("deactivate") immediately. There is no other answer for this crooked business model.

James G

This is a long-term scam Virgin Mobile has been running for years. If you even play around momentarily on the internet, it triggers a service charge of $.15/day. I never use the web, but may have accidentally triggered it several weeks ago when I got a new phone. Since then it has been charging me $.15/day.

Turns out Virgin has a silent "Daily Access Subscription" charge of $.15 per day for use of the internet. I'm sure it's there some place in the fine print, but it's not something they want you to know about.

This happened a couple of years ago, and I called and complained. They explained to me that I had "signed up" for it by accessing the internet, though they admitted the sign-up process was totally silent. I asked for a refund, and they belittled me, pointing out what a trivial amount it was. I responded by suggesting it was such a small amount they shouldn't bother collecting it. They didn't seem to get it. (But then, when you call "them" they aren't people who actually know anything about Virgin--and certainly aren't in a position to pass on such suggestions--so I suppose this is not surprising.)

In general, it was an unpleasant experience, but now I know that if I accidentally trigger it, I can turn it off by logging in, selecting "Edit Service Settings" and deselecting "Daily Access Subscription". It's just part of doing business with a company like Virgin Mobile. If I could find a service provider that I believed was more ethical, I would switch in a New York minute.

Here is the explanation of this "service":

[Begin description]

Daily Access Subscription

Enable VirginXtras on your phone for just 15c every day. Browse and download the latest games, graphics, and ringtones. Get access to exclusive *MTV content, have some laughs with Comedy Central, and more... right from your phone! (Some features have extra charges.)

Just Select the checkbox and hit Update.

[End of description]

You believed that paying for a plan with unlimited web service would mean access was free? You must be naive!

It's not worth the time it takes to get them to refund it unless you don't notice it for an extended period, but you do have to check your account periodically.

It's a sad state of affairs that this kind of thing can happen. It says a lot about Virgin Mobile that they do it deliberately, and even sadder that this kind of blatant fraud goes unpunished. But that's capitalism at its finest. Enjoy!

Here is the explanation of this "service":

[Begin description]

Daily Access Subscription

Just Select the checkbox and hit Update.

[End of description]

to unsubscribe from the Xtras, log on to your account on the Virgin Mobile website. Cn the left menu select "View Service Settings".

Then scroll down and de-select "Daily Access Subscription" and click "Update".

Braunstone, England, United Kingdom #148432

This has actually happened to me for almost a yr. I call customer service every month to complain and always get creditted but the problem is NEVER resolved.

I FINALLY got a rep who ACTUALLY knew what they were talking about and told me to go into the "virgin extras" menu from my handset.

From there I needed to unsubscribe from the application I was being charged for. I don't know how I was subscribed in the first place since I too, am the only one who has access to my phone.